Sneakily incorporating 4 superfood green veggies into a creamy pesto pasta, this recipe hits every time. High protein cottage cheese combines with the natural texture of the zucchini gives this sauce its amazing texture. It’s a perfect weeknight meal, taking about 30 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup peas, frozen or fresh
- 1 large handful of spinach
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 tbs pesto
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 10 oz dried pasta
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta 2 minutes less than the manufacturer’s instructions
- Add oil to a medium saute pan, and cook the onions, oregano, chili flakes, and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add the zucchini and saute for another 3-4 minutes or until the zucchini is soft.
- Deglaze with the white wine and reduce until the wine evaporates into a syrup
- Add the peas, spinach, and milk, lower the heat and simmer until the zucchini and peas are completely soft
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, add the pesto, basil, parmesan, and cottage cheese, and blend until completely creamy.
- Drain the pasta, add the sauce to the large pot and cook for another 2 minutes in the sauce and serve while hot
- You can mix and match the onions, just make sure to keep the white/green theme. You can use a similar quantity of leeks or green onions
- Cooking the pasta in the sauce for the last few minutes allows the pasta to absorb more of the sauce
- Using cottage cheese adds a similar texture to cream.